A sector more significant than its size
Food industry is the fourth largest industry in Finland, employing 40,000 people in 2,600 companies. The industry has a significant indirect impact in employment: one job in the food industry generates three new jobs in Finnish food ecosystem.
Food industry key figures
- Finland’s largest producer of consumer goods and fourth largest industry.
- Turnover EUR 11.8 billion (2021).
- Three largest sectors are meat processing, dairy and the bakery industry.
- Employs 40,000 people in 2,600 businesses all over Finland.
- Small-business dominated. Some 65 per cent of the companies employ less than five people.
- The domesticity rate of food produced in Finland is high (82 per cent).
- Value of food exports is EUR 2.2 billion and of food imports EUR 5.6 billion (2022).
Tasty food of high quality
Finnish food and food products have many strengths.
- Products are traceable and of a high quality. Food safety is world class.
- Products are tasty, nutritional and healthy.
- Food industry companies contribute to employment, well-being and affluence.
- Employees and competence have a key role.
- Sustainable and environmentally friendly practices. Animal welfare is promoted in many ways.
Unique food culture
Finnish food culture is a unique combination of Western and Eastern influences. Tastes change due to global trends, but some traditions live on – like rye bread, for example. The range of Finnish food products is wide.
ETL represents a wide range of food companies operating in Finland.Get to know our members
In Finland, responsibility and climate change mitigation have been recognised as a competitive advantage in time, which is why large companies in particular are already widely implementing emission mitigation techniquesRead more
Food from Finland
Innovative, healthy and safe food and drink products for the international markets.Read more
Finfood - Finnish food information
Finfood – Finnish Food Information is a Finnish non-governmental, non-profit inter-trade association that promotes food production and food culture in Finland.Read more
Forkful of Facts
Finnish food chain statistics 2023Read more